Sunday, September 20, 2009

Working Poor: Chapter 1 response

Taxes, legalized loan sharking, work place scams, ridiculous interest rates! All prime examples of the economic deficit of a country we call United States of America. This chapter is an amazing piece of reading as it takes us into the homes and daily lives of the low and middle class Americans who work hard, actually more then hard, and barely, if at all, scrap enough change together to make the monthly bills to survive. This chapter is the real introduction to why Shipler wrote the book. An in depth reasoning as to why people file bankruptcy, end up living on streets, and how our country is so indentured with debt and recession. I especially like this book so far because Shipler uses prime examples over and over again to state and prove points. He also uses examples of peoples financial problems like taxes and the IRS, and explains how places like H&R Block work. I would also like to state that so far I have concluded that the financial hole America has dug itself into is no ones fault but our own. Mainly to point fingers at interest rates from credit card companies and such, tax representation costs such as "rapid refund", and legalized loan sharks like "PayDay loan, check into cash".

2 comments:

  1. How about that H&R? Did you ever use them? How was it?
    We went there one time and it was such an obvious rip-off that we started doing our own taxes- my husband does the work and I buy him dinner. I'm saving a nice chunk of money, regardless of the restaurant he picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with how perverse this country has gotten with just the sense of sucking these people and even us dry so they can get rich. I can't stand it when I hear these stories of people trying to escape and they just are closed in from every angle.

    ReplyDelete