Saturday, October 3, 2009

Working Poor: Ch 3

I don't really know what to think of this chapter. At first I kind of feel like Shipler wants me to boycott designer clothing and what not because of the conditions the people putting it together have to work in. I understand fully the process a immigrant goes through when they do not get their green card and are forced to work at less then minimum wage and less then fathomable environments and conditions. Then again my view on that situation is that those people put themselves in a predicament when they come to America looking for the high life and bypass laws, legal citizenship, and such, giving them no rights, and no freedoms. Shipler even insists on telling us of certain cases where immigrants set aside the fact they weren't legal citizens, and got the courage to stand up for themselves as human beings, then after lawsuits or other means got themselves a better chunk of change over their less then minimum wage. Bottom line for me is that when it comes to immigrants and working conditions, they get what they apply for! Most of them don't even complain because they are making a wage that is supporting them to an extent, and sending some to their families for help.
Then there are the people that are legal citizens both born here and not. These people also work in the garment industry for unpleasurable wages and conditions. Why? some say it is their only hope of surviving, some say it is all they amount to. I say they, for the most part, put themselves in an unruly predicament. Any job for any wage could almost be their motto. Considering if we look at stories from last chapter we realize when people are in need they will do anything and usually will look for the easiest "in" for that aid. I can't really say whether these said people bring it all on themselves, which I don't think is the case, or if they fall prey to so many hardships that the conditions and wages the garment industry provides seem to be the only means of hope. I say a mixture of both because in America we are always given some form of a choice.
What I cannot really understand is how people and companies can be such capital mongers that they have to far more then "short-change" employees to put as much money in their pockets, and satisfy themselves. What makes it hard to understand is the fact that good hearted, industry loving people in the end of the chapter pay employees an excellent wage when they do excellent work. And because the employees do such excellent work and are happy with their wages, the company succeeds. Some still say they would purchase more if for a lower rate, but excellent craftsmanship and hard work are expensive characteristics and well worth it.
So when I said I felt like Shipler wants me to rip off my "Aeropostale" or my "American Eagle" clothing, and boycott the industry, I feel violated. Simply because I work hard for my minimum wage and purchase things that appeal to my nature. It is not as if the immigrants and what not are doing what they do for what they get, and then I go take those things for free. I do the country a service and in return use my hard earned capital to be rewarded with goods crafted in some way, shape, or form, by another hard working human being. I suppose because of the fact that no one is holding a gun to their head and saying do this for practically nothing, makes me feel like they don't have to be in such a predicament. So that makes me feel like I shouldn't boycott anything, and shouldn't put to much stock in Shipler's written theories within chapter three. Agree? Disagree? Like what I say or not, it's your freedom as an American, just don't judge me by my opinions. Same goes for the fact we shouldn't judge those in such positions as stated in this book so far as we live in a completely biased, choice based country.

3 comments:

  1. Kameron, All I can say is WOW. Your blog is just awesome. I couldn't wait to read the next sentence. I am now looking forward to your response to Chapter 4!! Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gayle, glad you liked it. That chapter both intrigued and irritated me as I am sure you picked up from my post. So far this book is opening my eyes to quite a few things we don't pay attention to on a normal basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you man why should immagrants who came over to America illegally enjoy the same pleasures of profitable work as those Americans do who work hard legally.

    ReplyDelete